Ilia State University
Ilia State University is a flagship public research and comprehensive higher education institution in Georgia that was established in 2006 as a merger of six different institutions, each having a long history and a diverse institutional profile. Its schools offer distinctive training in their respective direction and in-depth research opportunity in social sciences, humanities, life sciences, earth sciences, and hard sciences. The leadership remains open to innovative teaching and learning programs and supports research initiatives to finance research activities (significant allocation for research as part of its annual budget), justly occupying the top research citation index in Georgia. With the highest competition rate for PhD programs in the nation, approximately 15,000 students, 988 highly qualified academic staff, and with renovated research infrastructure in several Georgia’s regions (including 30 large and small scale research institutes, centers and stations), ISU has become one of the most desirable universities to study and work for in the country over the last 10 years.
ISU has the following 4 schools:
- School of Arts and Sciences is one of the largest academic schools at Ilia State University that offers interdisciplinary education at all levels basing its curricula on liberal arts education principles and academic freedom.
- School of Natural Sciences and Medicine is a new but a rapidly growing school at ISU offering BA programs in Architecture, Building Constructions, and Computer Sciences, laying basis for robust research and inventions.
- School of Business, Technology and Education is an umbrella faculty and a brand-new home of study programs of business, engineering, and education schools, including technology courses, labs, and services. The new faculty offers interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approach within technology, business, and education fields enhancing synergies and close links between the disciplines integrated into the teaching and learning processes. The faculty will be housed in a brand new state-of-the-art campus building equipped with student friendly teaching and learning spaces, labs, library, and latest technologies in classrooms.
- School of Law was established to prepare legal knowledge workers and practitioners while offering three -tier education. The School has emerged one of the successful centers for legal education in Georgia.
Ilia State University is actively involved in international projects. The priorities of these international projects and programs range from infrastructure and new programs development, improvement of academic and scientific potential and sharing international experience with the leading universities, research organizations, and institutions.
Tempus & Erasmus + CBHE
Ilia State University has an extensive experience of participating and leading EU funded capacity building and mobility projects. ISU has been the first grant holder of Tempus project from Georgia and up to now has been a coordinator of 2 projects within the frames of Tempus IV and 2 projects within Erasmus + CBHE. Overall, ISU has been partner of 27 Tempus, and 17 Erasmus + CBHE projects related to various academic and administrative fields.
- Number of students – 16509
- Number of Bachelor degrees offered – 22
- Number of Master degrees offered – 41
- Number of PhD degrees offered – 11
Shota Rustaveli Theatre and Film Georgia State University
The Shota Rustaveli Theatre and Film Georgia State University trains actors of drama and film, musical theatre, puppetry, marionettes and pantomime, directors of drama, film and television, cinematographers, theatre and film critics, art historians, specialists of television and other media, choreographers, managers of tourism and experts of cultural – educational sector.
Our students have gained international success and highest awards at various film and theatre festivals and competitions.
The Univercity has D. Aleksidze theatre, scientific library, laboratories, educational scientific institute, which prepares encyclopedias of Georgian theatre and cinema.
The Univercity has faculties of Drama, Film and Television, Humanities, Social sciences and Management and Georgian Folk Music and Dance, where over a thousand students obtain Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees.
The University played a huge role in training specialists of theatre and cinema for the entire Caucasus Region. The University brought up specialists for Russian, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Abkhazian, Ossian, Ingush, Chechen and other theatres. A number of now famous theatres were founded on basis of training and diploma performances of the University (such as Cinema Actors Theatre, Meskhetian Theatre, Theatre Metekhi, Akhmeteli Theatre, Theatre of Saingilo, Pantomime Theatre, etc.).
The University maintains creative and scientific relations with the universities in different countries.
The University traditionally trains specialists for special purpose which is a great contribution to the development of Georgian Regional Theatres.
The University publishes newspaper “Duruji.” In 2005 – 2009 publishing house issued newspaper “Culture”, which was a joint publication of three art universities. The Publishing “Centaur” publishes text books, manuals, scientific works and monographs written by professors of the University and also the journal “Art Science Studies.”
The Shota Rustaveli Theatre and Film Georgia State University is located in two buildings: the first building – Rustaveli Ave. N 19-23, the second building – David Agmashenebeli Ave. N40.
- Number of students – 716
- Number of Bachelor degrees offered – 584
- Number of Master degrees offered – 68
- Number of PhD degrees offered – 64